Yum! 6 Boo-tastic Halloween Recipes from Weelicious
Halloween is quickly approaching and finding healthy treats (did I just use the words “healthy” and “Halloween” in the same sentence?) that the kids will get excited about can feel like a hopeless endeavor for many parents.
No matter how vigilant I am most of the time, on Halloween night I’m not about to start to depriving my son of all the junky candy that goes with the fun of the holiday.
However, with all of the school parties and events that also come with Halloween, I strive to make healthy, nutritious recipes for the little ones that they’ll also view as a treat.
Check out some of my faves — including an exclusive video — below:
Pumpkin Pancakes (Makes 18 Pancakes):
1 Cup White Flour
½ Cup Whole Wheat
2 Tsp Baking Powder
1 Tsp Baking Soda
½ Tsp Cinnamon
½ Tsp Salt
1 Large Egg
1¼ Cup Whole Milk
1 Tbsp Honey
1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil, plus extra for greasing the pan
1 Cup Pumpkin Puree, canned
1 Cup Cream Cheese
2 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
2 Tbsp Honey
1. Sift the first 6 ingredients in a bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients.
3. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet until combined; it is ok if there are some lumps.
4. Heat a large sauté pan or griddle over medium heat and grease with oil.
5. Drop about 2 tbsp of the pancake mixture onto the griddle and cook for 2 minutes on each side until golden.
6. Set aside and allow to cool.
7. In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the filling until smooth.
8. Place 1 tbsp of the filling between two pancakes to make a sammie.
9. Continue to make the rest of the sammies.
* Tip: use an ice cream scooper to drop the pancake batter onto the griddle for perfectly round pancakes
Popcorn Trail Mix
4 Cups Popcorn, popped
½ Cup Chocolate Chips
½ Cup Dried Cherries or Cranberries
½ Cup Roasted Mixed Nuts, almonds, walnuts or peanuts
1. Place all of the ingredients in a bowl and combine.
2. Place mixture into individual treat bags.
Witches Brew (Serves 4)
2 Cups Apple Cider
2 Cup Cranberry Juice
1 Stick Cinnamon
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1. Place all of the ingredients in a bowl and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
Spookie Grilled Cheese (Serves 4)
8 Slices Pumpernickel or Dark Rye Bread
4 Slices Cheddar Cheese
1. Heat butter in a griddle or skillet over medium heat.
2. Using a halloween theme cookie cutter, take four slices of the bread and cut out the centers.
3. Place a slice of cheese on the 4 remaining pieces of bread and top with the cut out bread slices.
4. Heat the butter in a skillet over medium heat and cook the sandwiches whole side of bread facing down for 3 minutes.
5. Flip and cook the sandwiches cut out side down for 2 minutes or until golden and cheese has melted.
½ Lb or 2 Cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese, grated
5 Tbsp Unsalted Butter, cut into cubes
1 Cup All Purpose Flour
1 Cup Raw Almonds, slivered or whole blanched
1. Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
2. Place all of the ingredients in a food processor and pulse to combine .
3. Take a piece of dough and mold into a “finger” then place 1 slice of almond on the top of the tip for the “nail”. *
4. Place fingers on a sheet pan and bake for 20 minutes. Let it cool on sheet for 2 minutes before removing.
*Press almonds down well into fingers
¾ Cup All Purpose Flour
¾ Cup Cocoa Powder
¾ Tsp Salt
15 Tbsp Unsalted Butter, melted
1½ Cups Sugar
2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
3 Large Eggs
½ Cup Semisweet Chocolate, chopped (You can also use chocolate chips)
1. Preheat oven to 325 F.
2. Whisk the first 3 ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
3. In a standing mixer or bowl, whisk the melted butter, sugar and vanilla.
4. Whisk in the eggs one at a time until combined then slowly mix in the dry ingredients.
5. Pour the batter into a greased and parchment lined 9×13 baking dish and bake for 30 minutes.
6. Cool, cut into bars and top with “grave stones”.
*When cutting your brownie, use a long serrated knife and wipe it off in between cuts.
* To make gravestones, cut construction paper into stones and decorate as desired. Place a toothpick on the backside of the stone and attach with a piece of tape and poke the gravestone tooth pick into the brownie.