Whether you’re heading to the beach or hanging close to home, you’re probably looking forward to a long summer weekend with your family.
Why not get into a festive mood and add some red, white and blue to your holiday meals?
There are plenty of dishes out there filled with food dyes and other unwanted additives, but according to Weelicious creator (and mom-of-two!) Catherine McCord, they are nothing to light off fireworks about.
Instead, she’s come up with some yummy, all-natural dishes to celebrate our country’s independence that your whole brood will enjoy.
Check them out below:
Red Beet Cupcakes (makes 14 cupcakes)
2 Cups All Purpose Flour, 2 Tsp Baking Powder, ½ Tsp Baking Soda, ½ Tsp Salt, 2 Large Eggs, 1 Cup Milk, ½ Cup Honey, 1/3 Cup Vegetable or Canola Oil, 1 Large Beet, roasted , cooled, peeled and pureed, about ¾ cup, 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Sift the first 4 ingredients into a bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients.
4. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet and combine.
5. Pour about 1/3 cup into lined muffin tins and bake for 25 minutes (OR?) until a tooth pick comes out clean.
6. Cool and serve.
Beet Cream Cheese Frosting (Make 2 Cups)
1- 8 oz Pkg. Cream Cheese, room temperature, ½ Cup Unsalted Butter, room temperature, ½ Cup Powdered Sugar, 1 Medium Beet, roasted, cooled, peeled and pureed, about ½ cup, 1 Tsp Vanilla
1. Place all the ingredients in a mixer and beat on medium to high speed until fluffy.
2. Spread on cupcakes.
Red, White and Blue Parfaits
2 Tbsp Grape Nuts Cereal, 2 Tbsp Yogurt, 2 Tbsp Raspberries chopped, 2 Tbsp Blueberries chopped
1. In a small glass, place a tablespoon of Grape-Nuts.
2. Add a tbsp of yogurt.
3. Add 2 tbsp of chopped raspberry.
4. Add a tbsp of Grape-Nuts.
5. Add a tbsp of yogurt.
6. Add 2 tbsp of chopped blueberry.
Blue Potato Gratin with Cauliflower Cream and Sun-dried Tomatoes (15 Toddler Squares)
1½ Cups Cauliflower Florets, ¾ Cup Whole Milk, 1 Garlic Clove, 1/3 Cup + 2 Tbsp White Cheddar Cheese, grated, 4 Blue Potatoes, 12 Sun-dried Tomatoes, oil packed or sun-dried and then rehydrated in hot water for 10 minutes, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Place the first 3 ingredients in a saucepan, cover and bring to a boil. As soon as it boils, lower the heat to a simmer.
3. Steam the cauliflower for 6-8 minutes, or until fork tender.
4. Place the cauliflower mixture (you may not need to use all of the milk) and 1/3 cup cheese in a food processor and puree until smooth.
5. Slice the potatoes, preferably on a mandolin or by hand into very thin slices.
6. In a buttered 9×5 loaf pan, make a double layer of potatoes (this will use about 20 thin potato slices).
7. Cover with a tablespoon of the chopped sun-dried tomatoes.
8. Make another layer of potatoes.
9. Cover with a thick layer of cauliflower cream.
10. Make a layer of potatoes.
11. Cover with a tablespoon of sundried tomatoes.
12. Make another layer of potatoes.
13. Cover with a thick layer of cauliflower cream.
14. Sprinkle the top with cheese and cover the loaf pan with tin foil.
15. Bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and continue to bake 10 more minutes until cheese becomes golden.
16. Thoroughly cool, cut into 15 rectangles and serve.
Beet Pancakes (Serves 6)
1 Cup All Purpose Flour, ¾ Cup Whole Wheat Flour, 3 Tbsp Light Brown Sugar, 1 Tbsp Baking Powder, ½ Tsp Kosher Salt, 2 Medium Beets, roasted & pureed until smooth (about ¾ Cups), 1 ¼ Cup Milk, 1/3 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt, 1 Large Egg, 3 Tbsp Unsalted Butter, melted, 1 Tsp Vanilla extract
1. Sift the first 5 ingredients into a bowl.
2. Place the remaining wet ingredients in a separate bowl and whisk thoroughly to combine.
3. Add the dry ingredients into the wet and stir until just combined.
4. Drop about 2 tbsp of the pancake mixture onto a greased griddle or pan and cook for 3 minutes on each side.
Strawberries & Cream (Serves 4)
¼ Cup Whipped Cream Cheese, 1 Tbsp Strawberry Preserves, 1 Pint Strawberries, rinsed & stems removed
1. In a small bowl, whisk the cream cheese and preserves until combined.
2. Place cream cheese mixture in a small Ziploc bag, snip off one corner to create a piping bag.
3. Slice ½ inch off of the top of the strawberry, fill with cream cheese mixture, place the “hat” back on top.
4. Repeat with the remaining strawberries.
Red, White & Blue Popsicles (Makes 8 Popsicles, depending on the size of your molds)
1 12 oz Bag Frozen Blueberries defrosted, 6 Tbsp Agave, divided (you can also use honey, but I prefer agave for this recipe), 1 Cup Plain Yogurt, ¼ Cup Vanilla Rice Milk (you can also use cow’s milk, almond or soy), 1 12 oz Bag Frozen Raspberries, defrosted
1. Place defrosted blueberries and 2 tbsp agave in a blender and puree until smooth.
2. Pour the blueberry puree a 1/3 way up each popsicle mold and freeze for 30-45 minutes.
3. Combine yogurt, rice milk, and 2 tbsp of agave in a bowl and whisk until smooth.
4. Pour yogurt mixture 2/3 way up the popsicle molds on top of the blueberry mixture, and freeze for another 30-45 minutes.
5. Place defrosted raspberries and 2 tbsp agave in a blender and blend until smooth.
6. Finish the popsicles by pouring the raspberry puree over the yogurt, place sticks in and freeze.
*Because all popsicle molds are different sizes, you may have left overs. You can refrigerate the remaining berry purees and use as toppings for yogurt, granola, pancakes, etc.