Baby on the Way! Soap Stars Reveal How They Learned the News
|Juan Rico/Fame Pictures|
Some of the best memories for dads often accompany the words ‘I’m pregnant.’ In honor of Father’s Day, Soap Opera Digest asked seven daytime stars to show how they learned that they were going to be a dad — and their answers will make you laugh and smile.
- Peter Reckell (Days of Our Lives; dad to Loden Sloan, 19 months) — “Kelly gave me a box wrapped in a box and I thought, ‘What the heck? It’s not my birthday. It’s not close to our anniversary.’ It was the proof that she was pregnant. That was the first part. The second part was the blood test at the doctor. When she called me with that result, I was with my dad and my brother Tim snowmobiling in Montana. We had stopped at the top of a mountain for lunch and she was ecstatic. I thought, ‘Wow, my life is changing.'”
- Eric Martsolf (Days of Our Lives; dad to twins Mason Alan and Chase Evan, 3) — “We had been trying for a while, and Lisa called me up immediately and told me while I was at work. When we went to the doctor’s office to confirm it a couple of weeks later, that’s when he looked at us and said, ‘How do you feel about two?’ And I said, ‘My kid has two heartbeats? It this going to be a problem?’ And Lisa and the doctor looked at me and the doctor said, ‘Mr. Martsolf, you’re having twin boys.'”
Click below for more responses!
- Vincent Irizarry (All My Children; dad to Siena Sophia, 19, Aria, 11, and Elias Christopher, 7 ½) — “With Aria, it was right before Christmas. Avalon thought that she might be pregnant, so we got one of those early pregnancy detection tests. She checked it out and she was! We were very excited; it was our little Christmas gift to each other. With Elias, my wife had been very sick for a period of time, and right after she got out of the hospital, we found out she was pregnant. She had been wanting to have another child and I was on board completely, but we didn’t intend for it to happen as quickly as it did. A week after she got out of the hospital, we found out she was pregnant. We were like, ‘Careful what you wish for!'”
- Joshua Morrow (Young and the Restless; dad to Cooper Jacob, 6 ½, Crew James, 4, and Cash Joshua, 13 ½ months) — “With Cooper, I was coming home late from work and my wife, Tobe, kept calling me and asking, ‘When are you coming home?’ When I got home, she gave me a present and it was a dad book like What To Expect When You’re Expecting. For Crew, I was sitting on our back porch and she had Cooper walk out with the home pregnancy test stick. He handed it to me and it said ‘pregnant.’ For Cash, we had been trying to get pregnant because we were trying for that girl. So we were just in my living room when she told me.”
- Paolo Seganti (As the World Turns; dad to Stella, 9 ½, Marcello, 7 ½, Maddalena, born in 2005, and Pippo, 18 months) — “When I came back from shooting in Europe for two and a half months, I walked in the door and Carlotta stood sideways and I said, ‘Oh, my God! What did you eat last night?’ And she said, ‘It’s a boy!’ I said, ‘What?’ That was it for Pippo.
- John J. York (General Hospital; dad to Schyler, 18) — “[Wife Vicki] told me she was pregnant and I asked, ‘Who’s the father?’ (laughs) The truth is, she showed me that the stick had turned blue.
- John Bolger (General Hospital; dad to Maria, 26, Laura, 20, John Michael, 15) — “With our first, I was studying architecture at Cooper Union, and I remember getting a message saying, ‘Call me. I have important news.’ My wife [Christine] is very seldom tongue-tied, and I could tell she was laughing and crying on the other end of the phone when she said, ‘We’re gonna have a baby!’ The second time, we were at a doctor’s visit together and I don’t think either of us had suspected she was pregnant, so we found out together. There was hugging, laughing, crying and then running out to eat Italian food. For our third, we were at a party at the Brooklyn Academy of Music. It was right around Christmastime, so people were singing Christmas carols, and she couldn’t wait any longer to tell me, and she just burst out in the middle of this gathering. Even now, hearing specific Christmas carols, I always associate it with my son.”
Source: Soap Opera Digest, June 23rd issue