Symmetry Sleep System by Basic Comfort: Stop Flat Head
Basic Comfort just introduced the Symmetry Sleep Positioner ($79.99). This positioner helps to prevent Plagiocephaly (proper name for Flat Head Syndrome), and was designed by Dr. Ricardo Hahn (also known as Dr. Plagio) by combining a repositioning reminder system with medical technology that equalizes pressure on an infant’s skull.
Why am I concerned about this? Recently, the doctor told me that the right side of baby Allegra’s head is flat. My doctor told me to try to alternate her sleep position so it does not get more serious. Baby Allegra sleeps in a co-sleeper, on her back or her side (still swaddled) — and she usually faces me (on the right side of her head). I didn’t even think about putting her on her left side or alternating sides (called sleep rotation). For more information on Plagiocephaly, visit the website of Dr. Plagio (www.drplagio.org).
Click continue reading for the entire Basic Comfort Symmetry Sleep Positioner review & for an exclusive coupon code.
Luckily, I had just been sent the Symmetry Sleep Positioner to test out. It’s not just a sleep positioner, it places your baby on their back in a way that their head rests gently to the side. The velco tab then reminds you to alternate the position of your child each time you lay them down to maintain equal pressure on the developing skull. Now I make sure I properly rotate her sleep positioning and we use the Symmetry Sleep Positioner every time she sleeps.
- FDA clearance for use during sleep time and is approved for healthy infants 0-6 months.
- Designed using advanced breakthrough technology of computerized models of babies’ body dynamics.
- It combines a concave cradle with a “safety bump” that keeps baby comfortably positioned at variable angles, avoiding pressure on the skull, preventing rollovers and keeping airways unobstructed.
- Included is a parent-friendly caliper for measuring the symmetry of baby’s head, which is important component in early detection of Plagiocephaly.
- Patented FlowThru™ technology provides 100 percent airflow to help prevent overheating and chronic re-breathing.
- To aid in repositioning, Symmetry Sleep System comes with a convenient flap that allows parents to easily keep track of baby’s sleeping position.
- The product is made of liquid-resistant technology and the outer cover is machine washable.
I liked this product because the positioner was very firm and airy, although it looks soft and spongy. My baby fit nicely in the little cradle part — and depending on the way I placed her, her head would turn to the side I wanted it to. The positioner fit in my bassinet (just barely though) and my co-sleeper. I plan to keep using this product until the baby starts rolling over — hopefully her flat head will correct itself soon!
Shop Baby Abby to purchase.
Exclusive for CBB Readers: Use code "LearnTOTS" to get 10% off, not including shipping. Not valid with any other offer. Expires April 30, 2008.