Medela's Pump in Style Advanced: Just pump it up!
As a mother to an infant, a good breastpump is very essential to me. Medela recently sent me their Pump in Style Advanced – in the Metro Bag ($329.95) to test out.
I used an older version of the Pump in Style Breastpump when my son was born two years ago. My friend Melissa gave me hers (yes, I know you’re not supposed to do that, I bought a new attachment kit and even though the pump was 5 years old, it helped me a lot). Now, two years later, with a newborn, I knew I wanted to have a good new pump on hand.
Click continue reading for the rest of the Medela Pump in Style Advanced review.
I was very pleased with the Pump in Style Advanced. It was powerful and helped me boost my milk supply (as well as helping me feed my baby). It’s their highest power retail pump. My favorite thing is the removable motor unit (comes in a cute little box). This way I can "set up shop" anywhere in my apartment quickly. It was a huge improvement over the previous incarnation of the Pump in Style I had used (the motor was non-removable before). The Metro Bag is stylish – no way would you ever think there was a breastpump inside. I liked the two phase expression (stimulation and expression). I found that you have to make sure you attach to a good outlet — Some of the outlets in my apartment weren’t as strong and I discovered it made a difference in suction power when I used it.
Features and Benefits
- Roomy messenger bag in a durable, stain-resistant nylon with adjustable strap
- Completely removable internal parts, so the bag can be used long after mom’s done pumping
- Removable motor unit in its own case
- Removable work surface provides a clean place for mom to work with
- Removable cooler bag keeps milk cool for 12 hours
- Two mesh storage bags designed to hold loose pieces and parts in between pumping session
- All parts that come into contact with breastmilk are BPA/DEHP Free
- Battery Pak (8AA batteries not included)
- 4 collection containers & lids
- 2 SoftFit™ Breastshields
- 2 valves
- 4 membranes
- Single user breastpump
I also tested two more of Medela’s products. I loved their Comfort Maternity Nursing Bra (around $34) – which gives light support. It was so comfortable and great for middle of the night nursings. Since it was a light support bra, it didn’t give me enough support as I needed when I was out and about (because I’m a larger-breasted mom). But I found that it was fine for lounging at home. Since I was having latch difficulties, I also tested out their 24 mm Contact Nipple Shield ($5.99). It was easy to use and really helped with nursing. Happily, several weeks later, my baby’s latch improved and I am no longer using the nipple shield.
You can find a retailer for Medela’s products here.