I’d heard about the Radian 80 Convertible Car Seat ($249) by Sunshine Kids for a while and was lucky enough to test it out recently. You can use it rear-facing from 5- 33 pounds and forward facing until your child reaches 80 pounds. Since we are having a baby girl soon, I knew we would have to find another car seat we liked. And we really like the Radian 80.
I couldn’t believe how easy it was to install (okay, my husband did it – but it took him no time! We used the seat belt method). Several readers have commented that it is a good idea to get this seat’s installation checked by a certified car seat technician (which is a great idea). It folds flat (when not in use), which is terrific for traveling or storing this car seat. This is the first company to make a folding car seat (and there is a padded strap you can get to make it easier for carrying). As any parent can tell you, carrying a bulky car seat across an airport is not fun. We used to balance ours on the stroller, while wearing or carrying our son. Imagine having one that you can fold up and balance on your luggage or even carry with a strap? At this point, I’m about to give birth, so I can’t test it out at the airport (no traveling for a while).
It was so easy to get my 23 lb toddler,Ben, in and out of it – something I wasn’t used it with my current car seat. He loved it and was very comfortable in it. I liked how secure the harness was. My little houndini, who can now get in and out of his Fisher Price Healthy Care booster seat harness, could not unsnap this one! The width of the seat was a little narrower than Ben’s other car seat (so you could fit three of them in the backseat of your car).
Features and Benefits:
- For children from 5 lbs to 80 lbs in 5-point harness. Use rear-facing from 5 – 33 pounds.
- Steel alloy frame
- SafeStop harness system
- 4-panel system EPS safety foam which gives total side-impact protection, more than any other seat
- 5 shoulder and 3 buckle positions- this proper harness fit for all ages and weights
- Infant body support which converts to pillow cushions for older child
- Folds to 7 (17.8 cm) thick
- Low profile - Easier to get child in and out, plus safer positioning for child.
- Comes in Princess (pictured above), Manhattan (grey/black) – which we actually tested, Monaco (tan), and SuperCool (grey) – pictured below.
- Weight: 20.5 pounds
- Materials: 100% polyester Ultra Suede cover
- Dimensions: Open: 28.5"H x 17"W x 16"D (724mm x 432mm x 406mm), Closed: 28.5"H x 17"W x 7"D (724mm x 432mm x 165mm)