Anne Heche and husband in bitter custody battle
Actress Anne Heche‘s estranged husband, Coley Laffoon, has filed papers with the Los Angeles Superior Court asking for primary custody of the couple’s 5-year-old son, Homer. In the papers, Coley, who has been a stay-at-home dad since Homer’s birth and provides his primary care, claims that Anne displays ‘bizarre and delusional behavior,’ around Homer and has ‘poor parenting skills.’ Among the specific allegations:
- Anne once had Homer ride in her lap in the front passenger seat while he was visiting her in Vancouver (which she admits to).
- Anne often cusses in front of Homer and berates Coley to him.
- In the 10 days Homer visited with Anne in Vancouver, she packed school lunches that Homer ‘did not like’ and were not nutritious, causing the school to speak to Anne about them.
- Anne introduced her co-star James Tupper to Homer as her boyfriend, against the advice of a child therapist and an agreement with Coley not to. Homer then slept in bed with Anne and James and showered with them, in bathing suits. Anne admits this.
- Anne does not provide consistent care for Homer during Vancouver visits; he is often watched by a succession of nannies or Men In Trees personnel.
- Anne does not call at appointed times; when Coley attempts to call while Homer is visiting Anne, she does not answer or will not put Homer on the phone.
- Homer was sent to the airport without his passport, favorite shoes, and bedtime stuffed animals, causing him distress.
In addition to asking for joint custody, Coley is also asking for $33,000 a month in spousal support.On Thursday, Anne’s rep released the following statement in response to the filing:
It is disappointing that Coley Laffoon has resorted to filing lies with the court because Anne would not cave in to his astronomical monetary demands, including his demand for $45,000 a month in support. For the past several years, the child’s father has refused to get a job in order to contribute financially to the child’s care.
However, just months ago, the couple appeared in a feature in People magazine discussing the decision to have Coley be a stay-at-home father.
In a statement, Coley said,
Clearly, Anne’s anger toward me has clouded her ability to think rationally about what is in Homer’s best interest.
The custody case is currently being reviewed.