Luxe & Leather Mama – Diaper bags in Hollywood
by CBB Fashion/Gear correspondent Ciaran
Hollywood is "it" bag land. And more recently, it is "it babybag" land. Heidi Klum has been spotted toting Nest’s whip-stitched bag, Brooke Burke was recently photographed in Us Weekly with her Cameron Nicole, a bag also popular with Brooke Shields and Gillian Anderson. Jennifer Garner is set to hit the streets this spring with a Million Dollar Baby Bag from Susan Fitch in a Jackie O. reminiscent white leather. (This is the same classic bag that Gwyneth Paltrow got for her shower, but hers is a rich Espresso.) And, last week at her shower, Tori Spelling received a gorgeous denim blue Eva Rocker tote from Debbie Rott (pictured left). With so many posh and dedicated baby bags on the market, celeb moms need no longer press their Gussto and Chloe bags into doing diaper duty.
Ironically, the "it bag" phenomenon sometimes works the other way around. Celeb fave handbag manufacturer Not Rational makes such a soft and squeezable diaper/day bag that non-moms are co-opting it too (sans changing pad in the "day" version). It’s been carried by the mommy likes of Reese Witherspoon, Christy Turlington, and Angelina Jolie. But an uber luxe bag is an uber luxe bag, and even single ladies like Anna Kournikova and Salma Hayek have this bag too. Which goes to prove that when it comes to style hot moms, still have "it." Other bags that really don’t resemble diaper bags are Mia Bossi’s Maria bag (carried by Joely Fisher, Natasha Henstridge, Christine Taylor, Britney Spears, Shanna Moakler, and Anne Heche) and beca bags’ Cargo Bag (toted by Denise Richards, Melissa Joan Hart, Felicity Huffman, Jennifer Garner, and Michelle Williams)
While leather rules on the shoulder, Petunia Picklebottom still reigns on the stroller handle. Perhaps it’s the sensible practicality, an entrée into the mommy cliques or just because they look so cute swinging there. Whatever the case, these bags are so ubiquitous in L.A., that one of these days people will begin to refer to all diaper bags as Petunias. Gwen Stefani packs a Sunset Dragon Roll Boxy Backpack (pictured left), and Maggie Gyllenhaal travels with a Coco Roll Touring Tote (which looks more like a purse than a diaper bag). Other celeb Petunia owners include Kate Hudson, Katie Holmes, Amanda Peet, Marcia Cross, Julia Roberts, and Mariska Hargitay, and it is likely a safe bet that there’s hardly a celeb baby stroller out there that has not had a Petunia hanging on it at one time or another. (We also dig their new Cake line’s Society Satchel which really remind us of carpet bags!)
Other great diaper bag brands of the stars to check out include:
- Skip-Hop, whose messenger-style bags are owned by Sean Combs, Rachel Weisz, Courteney Cox and everyone in NYC
- Bumble Bags, owned by Nelly Furtado, Reese Witherspoon, Mariska Hargitay, Britney Spears, Melania Trump, Gwen Stefani, Amanda Peet, Jennifer Garner and Tori Spelling
- Timi & Leslie, owned by Kelly Williams, Calista Flockhart, Jenny McCarthy, Cheryl Hines and non-mom Hilary Swank
- Fleurville, whose waterproof Luxe bag is owned by Mariska Hargitay, and whose other fans include Liv Tyler, Will Ferrell, and Jodie Foster
- Kalencom, whose baby pink laminated buckle bag is owned by Jennifer Garner
- Storksak, a British brand owned by Kate Winslet, Gwyneth Paltrow, Liv Tyler, Matt Damon, Angelina Jolie, and Brad Pitt
- Ju-Ju-Be, owned by Katie Holmes, Gwen Stefani, Tom Cruise, and Jennifer Garner
Do you carry any of these diaper bags?